Finding The Best Angle Grinder For Efficient Metal Work Is No Longer Hard!
An Angle Grinder is a hand-held power tool that grinds, polishes, and cuts mostly metal, but sometimes is used for wood and stone. Like any other power tool, these come in various sizes and options. The most popular size is one with a 4½inch grinding disc. The best angle grinders as per our findings are the Dewalt DWE43113, Dewalt DWE402, Makita 9557PBX1, and Makita XAG03Z.
The Ultimate Buying Guide To Choosing The Best Angle Grinder
There is a big range of angle grinders available both in the shops and online. The choice depends on your purpose of buying one. The features which you need to consider while buying angle grinder are
See the best orbital sander reviews.
- Type: Grinders can be electric, cordless, or pneumatic.
- Disc Size: larger the disc, more the power. The most popular sizes are 4½ and 9 inches.
- Motor power: The motor powers the disc and is directly responsible for the speed at which work is completed. The rating ranges from 4 to 15 amps. Higher amperage is required for more heavy duty work and also delivers higher performance and efficiency.
- Disc Speed: Range is from 5,000 to 11,000 RPM. This is the speed at which the disc rotates and so the speed at which the project is completed. Higher speed machines are also noisier.
- Spindle lock: look for simple tool-less versions as these are used to change the discs for various jobs.
- Disc Guard: A safety feature, an easy adjust version makes your work faster.
- Dust Management: determines the durability of your machine.
- Side Handles: preferably select machines which allow for the side handles to be positioned on either side to allow you to maneuver more easily.
- Comfort: Look at the dimension especially the barrel size to see if it is comfortable to hold. Also, a lighter machine is easier to handle for longer periods of time.
- Safety Features: one of the most important factors while looking at power tools
Also look for machines which will accept a large range of discs as you will need different discs for various materials that you will be working with. Finally, decide on the budget you are willing to invest and the warranty being offered by the company.
Let us now look at the above mentioned top rated angle grinders and review each one of them.
Top 4 Best Best Angle Grinder Comparison Table:
Top 4 Best Best Angle Grinder Reviews:
#1 – Dewalt DWE43113 High Performance Grinder Trigger Switch Grinder
** Editor’s Choice – Best Angle Grinder **
The Dewalt DWE43113 is a heavy duty angle grinder from Dewalt, a trusted name in power tools.
- A 13amp ac/dc motor and a speed of 9,000 RPM.
- Overload Protection
- One piece brush arm
- Dust ejection system
- Dual abrasion protection
- Two position side handle
- Quick wheel change mechanism
- Dimensions of 18x6x5 inches and weighs 5.1 pounds
- It has a 90-day money-back, 3year limited manufacturer’s warranty, 1-year free service
It has a powerful 13amp motor which runs both on ac/dc power and operates the disc at 9,000 RPM. With all this power which is normally seen in bigger machines, this grinder with dimensions of 18x6x5 inches and weighing mere 5.1 pounds is easy to handle and manipulate. The jam pot gear case is designed to easily access hard to reach places.
The motor also has an overload protection. The one-piece brush arm ensures that your motor does not stop due to brush hang-ups caused by dust injection. The grinder also automatically shuts down when the brushes need to be changed.
It has been ergonomically designed and has a trigger grip with two position vibration reducing side handle for a more comfortable use compared to heavier and shakier models. It has a trigger switch mechanism with a lock-on feature which allows you to keep the machine on for long works. It comes with 8 feet power cable for extended reach.
The grinder has a dust ejection system which keeps the debris away from the motor and the brushes and so increases their lifespan. The motor has a dual abrasion protection which ensures a longer life.
- Powerful motor in a lightweight body
- Designed for durability
- Ergonomic design
- Easy adjust guard
- Noisy motor
- Some more user safety features could be added considering the power of the motor.
#2 – Dewalt DWE402 Paddle Switch Angle Grinder Review
** Best Value Angle Grinder **
This is an updated version of the very popular Dewalt D28402. This has been rated very high as Dewalt is one of the most trusted brands for power tools in the US.
- 11amp ac/dc motor which gives 1.8HP horsepower and a speed of 11,000 RPM.
- Dust Ejection System
- Oversized Brushes
- One touch guard which rotates 360o
- Dimensions of 15.6×5.9×4.8inches and weighs 6.2pounds
- Comes with a 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
This grinder has the best weight to power ratio of all the grinders in the market today. This means despite being lightweight, (only 6.2pounds) its motor delivers 1.8 HP and 11,000 RPM. It is ergonomically designed to allow a user to operate without fatigue. The motor is also cooler than the older version.
Its dimensions of 15.6×5.9×4.8inches ensure that it is small enough to be comfortable to use even at difficult angles and for detailed work. It has a one-touch guard which can be rotated 360o with a single action allowing for an easier grinding and cutting at any angle. The spindle lock is on top of the machine and protected which allows for maximum cutting depth without compromising on durability.
It has a release mechanism which allows for a quick change of the wheel without any special tools. It has a paddle switch with a safety lock.
The DW402 has a spiral bevel gear which increases the life of its transmission. This grinder also has a self-cleaning system in the form of dust ejection system which keeps the debris and dust away from the brushes increasing their life. One of the improvements over D28402 is the oversized brushes which have double the life of previous brushes.
- Powerful motor in a lightweight machine
- One touch guard
- Designed for tool longevity
- Ergonomic design
- No place to store the Allen wrench.
- Not very comfortable to hold for some customers.
#3 – Makita 9557PB Angle Grinder with Paddle Switch Review
The 9557PB is a 4½inch angle grinder from Makita, a company that has been producing power tools since 1915.
- 5amp ac/dc motor which gives a speed of 11,000 RPM.
- Extra-Large Paddle switch
- Easy wheel change spindle lock
- Long-running motor
- Labyrinth design seals
- Dimensions of 15x10x6inches and weighs 4.5pounds
- Comfortable barrel grip
- 1-year warranty
The best feature of 9557PB is its powerful 7.5amp motor which operates the 4½inch disc at a speed of 11,000RPM which is one of the best outputs in the industry. The motor keeps cool while running, which means it can run for hours without any problems.
It has an easy to use spindle lock which simplifies the wheel change process.
It has an extra-large paddle switch which is located on the bottom of the grip, which makes it easy to use even during operation. It has a lock-on mechanism which will allow for the machine to run continuously for long hours without having to use the switch frequently. A guard switch ensures that the machine does not work when the tool is set down.
It is a small grinder with dimensions of 15x10x6inches and weighing only 4.5pounds. It has a small barrel with a 2½inch diameter which makes it extremely comfortable to hold and work with. It has a handle which can be positioned on either side.
The gear system has a labyrinth design which seals it from the dust and debris generated during the grinding process and extends the life of the product. It has an all ball bearing design and a metal gear housing which increases its durability factor.
- A lot of power but convenient to store and use
- Affordable angle grinder
- Safety Features
- Noisy Motor.
- The electric cord tends to wear down quickly
- The high speed makes it difficult for some customers to handle the grinder.
#4 – Makita XAG03Z Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Cut-Off/Angle Grinder Review
The Makita XAG03Z is a cordless 4½inch angle grinder from the trusted Japanese company Makita. This grinder is a huge improvement on the earlier versions of cordless grinders like the 18V LXT grinder.
- 4½inch cutting disc
- 8,500RPM at no load.
- Brushless motor.
- Slide Switch with a lock-on mechanism
- Fuel gauge
- Overload, overheating and over-discharging protection.
- Dimensions of 14x5x5inches and weighing 8pounds
This machine has a brushless motor which is an improvement from the earlier brushed motors which would shut off if some pressure was applied to the machine while grinding. The grinder has variable and automatic torque modes which help keep the speed to remain constant when pressure is applied. The power is similar to a 5amp motor. The brushless motor is also very efficient in terms of usage of the battery. The battery is a 4.0Ah and charges very quickly.
The machine is designed to be a little heavy in the front which is helpful while grinding, but with dimensions of 14x5x5inches and weighing only 8 pounds it is extremely comfortable to hold and is also portable.
It has a fuel gauge which is located on top of the machine which shows the battery power left. An LED light next to the fuel gauge lights up when the machine is operating in the high torque mode.
It has a slide switch with a lock-on facility for continuous operation. A safety feature we like is that the machine does not turn on if we insert the battery when the switch is in the on position.
The grinder has overload protection, overheating protection and also ensures there is no over discharging of your batteries. These help increase the life of the motor, the gears and the battery.
The air vents are located at the end of the machine and have wire meshes to protect them for dust and debris.
- Much more powerful than other cordless grinders
- Brushless motor
- Efficient battery
- Safety features.
- Machine slows down while cutting process.
- Sensitive overload switch.
The Dewalt DWE402 is most powerful yet the most affordable angle grinder among the four that we have reviewed today. It dust ejection system, one-touch guard but most importantly its durable design makes it the best 4½ inch angle grinder on the market today.
 wikipedia.org : Angle grinder
 ewp.rpi.edu : Stress Analysis of a Chicago Electric 4½ Angle Grinder
 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov : Penetrating head injury from angle grinder: A cautionary tale
 bestcovery.com : Best Angle Grinder
makitatools.com : Makita 4-1/2″ Paddle Switch Angle Grinder, with AC/DC SwitchModel 9557P