Windshield wiper blades are no doubt among the most important components of a vehicle, especially during bad weather where fog and rain can affect visibility. Due to this, various windshield wiper blade brands have emerged each with its unique modifications to help enhance visibility and ease of navigation during driving.
In a bid to understand windshield wiper blades better, the review shall analyze the best wiper blades discussing their various features and suitability while also providing a buying guide towards the end. This will not only make you aware of the leading brands in the market but also equip you with the basic and necessary purchasing information. Thus, this gives you the power to select the best windshield wiper blade that suits your specific needs.
Below is a description of some of the leading windshield wiper blades in the market.
1. Bosch ICON 22A Wiper Blade
The Bosch ICON 22A comes with a patented modern beam design which together with its shielded connector enhances visibility even in extreme weather conditions. This allows you to drive with the confidence that you can maneuver fog or extreme weather patterns. Impressively, the Bosch wiper blade also brags of a spring arcing technology that is tailored to fit the curvature of each side of the windshield. Additionally, the Bosch 22-A wiper blade has an asymmetric spoiler that is flexible in nature to distribute the downward force uniformly along the blade and to hold it strongly to the windshield at higher speeds. One of the most amazing features of the Bosch Wiper Blade is its hook adapter (with an arm of 93 and 9) which makes it easy to install with different but original products. Additionally, its size of 22 inches makes it convenient for wiping out across the dash. Further, its length allows it to distribute pressure evenly along the blades entire length for an all-season ultimate performance.
- All-weather and Extreme weather performance
- Has a 40% longer life
- Easy to install
- Customized fit and overall performance
- Not affected by snow
- Not affected by ice build up
- Difficult for first timers to install
2. Trico Exact Fit 14-B Rear Integral Wiper
The Trico Exact fit is preassembled to perfectly match the specific arm type of your vehicle. The integral wiper makes a precise match with the Roc Loc 3 arm. There is also no additional adaptors required as the installation process is one step which allows for instant installation in under thirty seconds. Additionally, the Trico Company relied on advanced wiping and blade technology to offer the blade the edge it has, more so in wiping off snow, pile up ice and even water droplets.
Advantages of the Trico Exact Fit
- Comes in different blade sizes to suit your specific needs
- Pre-assembled making it easy to replace without the need for professional assistance
- Easy to Install and replace
- Perfect fit as though the vehicle was brand
- Might not be compatible to some specific brands which may make it hard to replace with a brand of choice
- Wiper blades come in different sizes from 8“ to 22“ which makes them appropriate for use in different areas
- Various options including hybrid, beam, rear, and conventional blades
- Can be replaced by anyone as it comes pre-assembled making it extremely easy to install
3. Bosch Icon 20A Wiper Blade
The Bosh Icon 20A is made of bracket-less wiper blades. The bracket-less design of the blades is intended to improve the performance of the blades such that they operate without hinges and any brackets whatsoever. This enables the blade to perform its functions without being affected by factors such as accumulated ice or rain droplets. Further, the wiper blade brags of a wind spoiler integrated design that increases the blades downward force to prevent the lift-off that usually occurs at highway speeds. The Bosch icon 20A wiper blade relies heavily on both its tension springs and bracketless design to offer super wiping services in any weather conditions.
- Not affected by ice and snow build up
- Comes with an enclosed tension spring that keeps the blade flexible at all times
- Appropriate for use in all weather conditions as it can withstand high rainfall and strong precipitations as well
- Engineered specifically for exceptional wiping and cleaning performance
- Made of fx rubber dual and exclusive in nature which resists heat and ozone deterioration to keep it flexible in all weather.
- Easy installation as it comes with a pre-installed adaptor
- 40% longer life than other normal blades which creates a much-required value for money
- The tension springs can be affected by bad weather and reduce the performance of the blade or even lead to destruction
- Covers various arm types such as pinch tab, hook, 22mm side lock, valeo lock, and the 19mm top lock.
- With the Bosch-20A, installation becomes a walk in the park due to customized fit and pre-installed adaptors. This makes the blade easy to use and replace.
- The high-quality rubber used helps ensure that heat and ozone and environmental deterioration does not affect the durability of the blade. This gives the blade a longer life.
4. Rain-X RX30224 Weatherbeater Wiper Blade 24 inches
The Weatherbeater 24 inch blade comes with a professionally galvanized frame that prevents both corrosion and rust to the blade. This, in turn, ensures your steel coated blade remain long lasting and durable for the foreseeable future. Further, natural squeegee rubber is also utilized in the design with the aim of resisting splitting, cracking and subsequent tearing which is caused by cold, heat, wiper fluid and various other factors. A feature that makes the blade reliable is the high-quality blade used. The wiper blade satisfies all the regulatory standards as it also comes with a j-hook pre-installed adapter which allows for easy and quick installation. Another feature the weather beater wiper blade comes with is the friction reduction technology in the multiple pressure joints throughout the blade. This increases durability and protects the blade from cracking or breaking.
- Made of durable steel and rubber components making the blade appropriate for all weather use
- Has friction reducers in all the various pressure joints, this reduces noises while increasing usability
- Provides a streak-free and clean wipe even during extreme weather
- Difficult to install for first timers
- Comes with a pre-installed j-hook adapter which makes it easy to replace when need arises
- Contains multiple adaptors for different wiper arms
- Long lasting and durable
- Squeegee rubber helps protect the blade from tear and wear
5. Rain-X 5079281-2 Latitude Wiper Blade 26“
The Latitude wiper blade 26“ has been modified to fit almost 96% of the world`s vehicles. This makes it compatible with nearly every vehicle out there. Additionally, the blade comes with an improved universal adaptor that is pre-installed such that it replaces within minutes. The aerodynamic spoiler plays a significant role in delivering a quiet wipe and preventing wind lift as well. When using the Rain-X5079281-2 Wiper Blade, factors such as performance in extreme weather are not major issues as the blade is designed to perform in all weather conditions. Also, an advanced blade technology has been utilized throughout the design to enable streak-free wiping.
- Compatible with numerous brands makes it appropriate for use
- Streak-free wiping leaving the view perfect and convenient for driving
- Suitable for extreme conditions such as extreme snow and even wet conditions
- Comes with a warranty which serves to ensure you get value for money
- Water repellant to increase driving visibility
- Might be demanding, more so during installation
- The water repellency technology helps improve vision for users when driving during extreme weather. This means you can comfortably drive without having to stop to dry the windscreen.
- Comes with a pre-installed adaptor, this makes it easy to install without wasting much time connecting different parts
- Perfect fit for 96% of all vehicles,
- Made of squeegee rubber to increase durability as it prevents tear and wear from taking an immediate toll on the wiping blade
- Noise reduction and wind lift prevention technology through the use of aerodynamic spoilers.
Wiper blades buying guide
Choosing the most appropriate wiper blade can transform into a daunting task especially due to the various car-related considerations you ought to make. As you must have noted by now, different cars have different sizes of wipers depending on the location and the need for wiping services. Therefore, in a bid to help you understand what to look for when buying a wiper blade, this buying guide will highlight all the important features you must be on the look-out for.
In as much as one might argue that size is easy to determine-it`s not!- In fact, most people assume that any blade can work in any windscreen or area. However, this is not the case as failure to securing the right size will increase the chances of wrong purchases. Therefore, ensure you take the measurements of the wiper blade you intend to replace and ask for the dimension always before making a replacement purchase. This will enable you to select the perfect fit which will perform its wiping functions without any compromise whatsoever.
There are different types of wiper blades the most common being the conventional wipers which have a tightly fitted rubber blade to the bridge or frame assembly. Thus, when replacing or just purchasing a wiper blade, be sure to factor in where it will go( or rather where it will be installed). The wiper blade can either be for the beam blades, or it can even adapt the bracketless design. Bottom line, be sure to consider the beam-style your car comes with. This will help you determine the most appropriate blade to replace the initial wiping blade with.
3. The type of connectors used
It goes without saying that the type of connectors used to play a pivotal role in determining the wiping blade you can go for. Most modern design cars have hook-style blade connectors which make it extremely easy to replace the blades when need be. Therefore, before buying a new wiping blade, be sure to take the time to observe the connectors and adaptors used in the blade. This will enable you to avoid the unfortunate instance of buying a misfit
4. Additional protection (galvanization etc)
For most drivers who spend a large chunk of their time off road, they prefer using blades that are covered with silicone or galvanized with steel as they shrug heavy dirt and mud when driving offroad. However, some highway riders might prefer rubber wiper blades due to the light feel and convenience offered when removing rain droplets. Otherwise, it is wise to take time to determine the type of service preferred from the wiping blade and whether or not durability is important. If you prefer durability and ease of use in off-road environments then it better to select silicone covered or galvanized blades.
It is crucial to consider the installation of a wiper blade prior to purchasing the replacement. Most wiping blades are usually replaced on the highways or roads during bad weather when the drivers have just about had it with them. Therefore, it is imperative to select a replacement that was either initially assembled or easy to replace and install. However, there are some brands that require professional assistance from experts to help to install the wiper blades. Be sure to select a replacement that you are confident enough you can replace on your own or with little assistance. Failure to that you might end up stranded on the highway unable of replacing your worn out wiping blade.
6. Durability and Usability
As a car owner, you must be fully aware of the various challenges you are exposed to be it during extreme weather or when it comes to durability and usability of the wiping blade. Therefore, chose the best alternative that offers to serve you in more ways than one, for instance, you could go for a wiper that is galvanized such that it remains usable for long. Let the use you put your car to act as the determinant of the wiping blade you require. This is the surest way to ensure you get maximum service from your newly purchased wiping glade.
When it comes to choosing the most appropriate wiping blade, various options come to mind. The above-listed brands are among the most respectable wiping blades in the market. However, the value created is dependent on the specific needs of the buyer. With the above buying guide, you can rest assured you will purchase the most appropriate blade that suits your specific preferences.
Resources howstuffworks.com : How long do windshield wiper blades last?
 autodeets.org : Goodyear Hybrid Wiper Blades Review  wikipedia.org : Windscreen wiper  consumerreports.org : Wiper Blade Buying Guide