Do you love hunting and are you in need of a top-tier riflescope for short and long distance shooting? Then this Vortex Viper PST 6-24×50 FFP review is for you! Coming from a reputed brand such as Vortex, the Viper PST 6-24 x50 FFP has everything you need for your mid to long range rifle shooting.
The Viper combines stylish looks with a wide 6x – 24 x zoom range and a first focal plane (FFP ) reticle to make your every shot fuss-free. With its matching reticle and turret measurements, you won’t just be dialing shots at lighting speeds, but with precision. All this and more not only makes the Viper PST 6-24×50 FFP an instant hit with tactical shooters but a great bargain at its price point ( See amazon customers reviews ).
Features and specs
- First focal plane (FFP) reticle automatically changes size according to magnification.
- A magnification range of 6x – 50x and an objective lens diameter of 50mm.
- A 30 mm tube that is made of aircraft grade aluminum to be light and strong.
- An illuminated reticle for aiming at different light conditions.
- Argon gas filled tube to keep if fog-free during rain and snow.
- Customizable rotational stop to avoid rotations below zero when using many elevation corrections.
- Eye relief of 4 inches.
- Field of view is 17.8 to 5.1 feet at 100 yards.
- Riflescope weight is 23.4 ounces.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty. – ( See full features and specs )
What Makes The Vortex Viper PST 6-24×50 Popular With Tactical Shooters?
The Viper is equipped with high-quality ground glass that is fully multi-coated. These do an excellent job of preventing glares and provide high-quality images.
The lens also has a very low dispersion which improves the resolution, color, and contrast of the image and results in an extremely superior view of your target.
The 50mm diameter of the objective has a wide field of view and thus gives a very good exit pupil through all magnifications levels. So whether it is shining bright or cloudy, your target will be crystal clear to you.
The reticle is a first focal plane (FFP) type, which means it automatically adjusts its size based on the magnification. So unlike a second focal plane reticle, you don’t have to calculate sub tension settings every time you change the magnification.
The reticle comes with adjustable illumination to suit different light conditions. In fact, if you have very bright light conditions, you can even completely turn it off, and you will still be able to use it. This is because the reticle is not made of wires but is etched in between two layers of glass that protects it from damage.
The riflescope has a magnification range of 6x to 24x which is ideal for mid-range to long distance shooting. You can even view what magnification the scope is currently set to, on the MAG-view fiber optic bar.
The eyepiece comes with a fast-focus feature which helps you aim at your target using the reticle quickly. The eyepiece also gives an eye-relief of 4 inches, which is important to protect your eyes from potential recoil impact.
The Viper is a well-built 30mm tube that is made of aircraft grade aluminum which has the ideal combination of being lightweight and strong at the same time.
The 30 mm diameter of the tube gives a wider area for adjustment and the fact that is it a single piece of tube, makes it sturdier. The outer body is matte finished to reduce glare and has a rugged design to withstand harsh shooting conditions.
The inside of the tube is filled with Argon to keep it moisture-free and fog-free, so you will always have only the clearest view, no matter where you are. The O-ring seal ensures that your entire gear is water-proof.
The tension assembly features a single spring construction which keeps the optical system intact, improving accuracy.
The best feature of this scope is its customizable zero stop (CRS). Once you sight in and set your rifle, returning to zero is as easy as turning the dial till it stops. You will never lose your zero!
Grip your turret windage and elevation knobs with ease, as they come with serrations for a tighter control during operation. It also comes with a side focus knob which eliminates parallax error.
- The First focal plane (FFP) makes the scope extremely easy to focus without any need to calculate range before your shot.
- The illuminated reticle is designed for tactical shooting.
- High-quality glass that is index-matched and multi-coated for crystal clear images.
- Easy adjustments settings and an extremely easy to mount scope.
- Comes with 4-inch sunshade to avoid glares in bright light conditions.
- The scope is not suited for close range shooting and also has a lower eye relief at lower magnifications.
- The riflescope is on the heavier side, weighing 23.4 ounces.
- The price of the riflescope can be a bit expensive, but it is great value for your money as it gives you features of a premium scope for under 1000 bucks.
If you like a top-tier riflescope but don’t want to dig deep into your pockets, then the Vortex Viper PST 6-24×50 FFP will be a great buy. Being a tactical shooter does not mean you either spend a fortune on your scope or settle for something less.
The Viper will give you the same performance as top-tier riflescopes designed for optical shooting but at a fraction of the price and with some great features. Be it the etched, illuminated FFP reticle or the CRS zero stop mechanism; the Viper will surprise you with its capabilities.
** All prices and ratings mentioned in this article are accurate at the time of publishing and may change with time.